At Woodstone Pantry we sell a range of ancient grains such as millet, quiona and amaranth. These grains are high in protein, contain numerous vitamins and minerals and are completely gluten free. The trick is... knowing how to use them!
These grains are available as a wholegrain (great for cooking to be used as a substitute for rice or couscous) but they also come puffed and rolled/flaked. In their puffed and rolled form they work great in muesli or granola mixes, baking breads and muffins as well as homemade muesli slices.
Millet is a tiny grain (technically a seed) containing nutrients such as magnesium, calcium, fibre, B vitamins and antioxidants, making this slice super healthy!
These muesli bars are perfect for a quick breakfast or as a mid morning or afternoon snack. They do go a bit soft at room temperature so they are best stored in the fridge.
Feel free to use whatever nuts or dried fruit you prefer and swap the honey for maple or rice malt syrup for a vegan version.
HEALTHY ALMOND BUTTER AND MILLET MUESLI BARS
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup millet flakes
- handful of roughly chopped nuts (I used walnuts and almonds)
- handful of dried fruit such as goji berries, sultanas, cranberries etc.
- 1/2 cup Nudie Nuts almond butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup honey (or rice malt or maple syrup)
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- pinch of salt
- Gently melt the coconut oil, honey and almond butter together in a small pot on the stove.
- In a bowl, add the dry the ingredients and mix together.
- Pour the melted ingredients into the bowl and mix.
- Press the mixture into a tin lined with baking paper and pop in the fridge to set before cutting into rectangles.
- Eat and enjoy!
- These muesli bars will go a bit soft at room temperature and are best stored in the fridge.