A few years ago I heard about the benefits of consuming apple cider vinegar (ACV) on a regular basis to help with digestive issues. Having suffered with irritable bowel, I try all sorts of tummy fixers! I religiously used to mix a dash of ACV with lemon juice first thing in the morning with warm water. Then... I fell off the bandwagon! That is, until recently, when I have started using it again. I notice it really helps to set my digestion for the day. With my reignited love for this simple, yet awesome product, I thought it would be helpful to share some of the information I have learnt about ACV and how it can benefit our health in a number of ways. It is best to consume raw and organic ACV, meaning it is unfiltered and unpasteurised. This ensures it contains all the goodness such as, 'the mother'. The mother is the brown 'floaty bits' you often see in the liquid and contains the living nutrients and beneficial bacteria.
At Woodstone Pantry we sell Ceres Organics apple cider vinegar. It’s cold-pressed from organically grown, tree-ripened New Zealand apples, without heat or chemicals. It’s then naturally fermented to preserve the ‘Mother’ of the vinegar – live friendly bacteria.
1. Better Digestion: Having ACV before a meal can assist with digestion, particularly for issues such as reflux, bloating and indigestion.
2. Clearer Skin: The high acidic levels of ACV is believed to balance skin PH when used as a toner, helping to reduce age spots and acne. ACV also has antiseptic and antifungal properties, helping to keep skin clear.
3. Fights Fatigue: ACV contains amino acids that help prevent the build up of lactic acid in the body, helping to prevent fatigue and assist with recovery after a hard workout!
4. Improves the Lympathic System: ACV helps to cleanse the lymph nodes, therefore assisting the body to eliminate any harmful bacteria or microbes.
5. Lowers Glucose Levels and Reduces Appetite: ACV contains acetic acid which helps to reduce the glycemic index of foods, slowing the rate at which sugars are released into the bloodstream and helping to control appetite and cravings.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV is highly acidic so it is best to dilute it in water when drinking it. A quick google search and you will find that you can use it for just about anything! Cleaning, wart removal, clear skin, shiny hair, digestive aid, post-workout drink, the list is endless! Here are a few of my favourite ways to incorporate ACV into your daily life.
- dilute in warm water and drink (adding lemon and honey is also nice!)
- add it to your bath with epsom salts and lavender essential oil for a detoxifying bath
How do you use ACV? We would love to hear from you!